Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Each week I feel as though I must check in with… (week 8)

Each week I feel as though I must check in with…


I thought about this one a lot. Sure, there are websites or magazines I check in with often that inspire me as a designer: Mattson Creative, Communication Arts, How, Pentagram, Lynda.com, etc (see list of books in a previous post). Also, I could mention that I check in with my professors every week. I oftentimes seek wisdom from friends who are designers: classmates, Brenton Smith, Abby & Alex Jartos, the in-house designers at Peachtree Presbyterian, etc.


But if there was one person, place or thing that I feel I must check in with every week, or more correctly, every day, I would have to say my wife, Kellee.


I know it seems typical or like some sort of sacrifice of masculinity that a husband should have to "check in" with his wife, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Its far more than some subservient approval that I seek. I value her ideas and opinions immensely. I value her honesty and integrity. I value her thoughtfulness. I admire her talent and skill (she is a fantastic video editor, and she doesn't even realize it). I admire her ability to see things from a different perspective. Most of all, I value and admire her love and support. It is what keeps me going when I struggle. It is often what carries me through when I feel inadequate as a designer or a person. I don't get to tell her enough how much her love and support means to me. I literally could not be in school, be a designer, or be who I am without her.

No comments:

Post a Comment